How to use Create plantings from projections
'Create plantings from projections' is an advanced tool to help you create planting schedules based on projected sales. The advantage of crop planning based on sales projections is that you are growing exactly what you think you can sell. This is a big step towards limiting waste and increasing farm efficiency but it depends on the predictable yields of a grower with a few years under their belt.
How to use 'Create plantings from projections':
- Create the crop you want to use projections
- Go to Units on the ... more menu next to your initials and create a unit that you are planning to sell
- Associate the unit with your crop in the drop down on the unit page
- Add a value for 'Units per bed ft'
- Click Save
- Scroll down and click '+ Projection'
- You can add as many projections for each unit as you like (click here for more details)
- You can add multiple units and associate them with the same crop to have VeggieCropper calculate the length and timing of your plantings to match you projected sales for the whole crop
- Check 'View sales projection list' to see your sales projections
- For crops with multiple units, unselect the unit from the filter so you can see all of the sales projections just for that crop
- When you are ready to have VeggieCropper create your plantings, go to the crops page and select the crop
- Consider whether to delete or keep any plantings you have so far.VeggieCropper will add additional plantings to any existing plantings you have already
- With sales projections associated with that crop you will now see the button 'Create plantings from sales projections'
- Complete 'Weeks until harvest' and 'Weeks of harvest' and add varieties as needed.
- Click 'Generate'
Now you can tweak plantings by adjusting the bed feet to fit your bed lengths and allow for some safety factor. Rounding up is a good idea on this front. Also consider adding two plantings together and deleting one as needed, few crops need to be planted every week.
How does VeggieCropper Generate Plantings from Projections?
VeggieCropper uses each Crop Unit's yield data and sales projections, along with 'Weeks to harvest' and 'Weeks of harvest', to generate a Planting schedule that perfectly matches your projected sales target.
After the plantings are generated, you can adjust each individual Planting's 'Field Week', 'Bed Feet', 'Wks to harvest' and 'Wks of harvest' fields. Varieties can also be added, removed, or edited.
IMPORTANT NOTE - Every time you generate plantings they will be added to any existing plantings. We recommend getting your projections really close before generating plantings and tweaking bed feet, and assigning varieties.